29.7.04

To English or not to English

As you may have noticed :-) I write this weblog in the strange and incomprehensible language. That is, incomprehensible to the vast majority of the mankind. The language is Czech – my mother tongue (well, not exactly, but I don't want to make things too complicated for the start). I decided to use Czech because it is, of course, easier for me, and because the blog was intended as strictly personal, with no aspirations to be read by accidental visitors. But this is Internet, man!; the accidental visitors are the integral part of the game. As early as after two weeks of operation, several people asked me (very politely) to consider publishing in English, at least partly.
They may be right. After all, is it OK and netiquette-compliant to use foreign language on the free service based in the U.S., fueled (presumably) by the money of American advertisers? I am not sure. Perhaps you have heard about the upheaval caused by too much Portuguese language on the Orkut; English-speaking people (in the case of Portuguese, I am English-speaking, too) complain about the communication they are excluded from. It seems to be logical and civilized to use the common language in the cyberspace as much as possible. – On the other hand, the Internet is international by the definition, and there will be always local communities using their languages; I am member of one of them. Therefore, I settled on the compromise: I'm going to use both languages, Czech more often, English will be preferred for unofficial news & comments from my home country and the Eastern Europe.
I have to admit that I don't like writing in English. It is my second foreign language and I don't feel myself comfortably enough in it. You know the people speaking with a foreign accent; what I do is writing with a foreign accent. In fact, the language I'm writing in is Czenglish: Czech English. It is the best approximation of the real English I'm able to produce. I don't expect you to appreciate the beauty of my style (which is really painful for me since it is just this I do expect from my Czech readers). I only hope you will understand a bit. It is like making love in skiing clothes and thick gloves. You never know what your partner feels. Or: what does your partner feel? Help me! But - you know what I mean. Perhaps there is some trend here: the collective language of the Internet is not just English but the bad English - the sort of English we (= we Czechs, Germans, Chinese, Portuguese etc.) speak and understand. Move over, Oxford.
KEYWORDS: English; Czech; lost in translation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymní said...

richard: The last is the best :). Thanks for enlightening my boring half-term-holiday day wit a laughter :)).
And thanks aKB for providing a more-than-handful of thoughts.
Good luck to both of you, lads!

31/5/05 16:18  

Okomentovat

<< Home